Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus Star Wars Special Edition: The unboxing is strong with this one
Samsung’s Galaxy Note 10 Plus is one of the best smartphones available today. With the release of the new Star Wars movie, The Rise of Skywalker, Samsung released a themed device with hardware and software elements depicting Kylo Ren in various ways. The unboxing experience with Matt Miller is one you can’t miss. Read more: https://zd.net/2Qn2mKF
With an inspection team working in a shipyard in Florida, they asked me to provide a tablet they could take out in the yard loaded with drawings to verify fabrication elements. I purchased a Galaxy Tab Active2 and the team has been enjoying the capability of this rugged eight-inch tablet.
After using it for a year, there are a couple of things the team would like to see in the next version. The requests included a larger display, longer battery life, and better connectivity to the PC. Samsung must have been tapping my conversations with my team as they announced the Galaxy Tab Active Pro at the Samsung Developer Conference in October.
There are several ways that the Galaxy Tab Active Pro is better than the iPad, especially for use in the field, including IP68 dust/water resistant rating, MIL-STD 810G shock/drop resistant rating, user-replaceable battery, Samsung DeX desktop mode, full mouse/trackpad support, and expandable storage.
Also: Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 review: Rugged Android tablet built for business in the field
Galaxy Tab Active Pro specifications
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 processorDisplay: 10.1 inch, 1920 x 1200 pixels resolution LCDOperating system: Android 9 Pie with One UIRAM: 4GBStorage: 64GB internal with microSD expansion card slotCameras: 13 megapixel rear and 8 front-facing cameraConnectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, LTE option availableDust/water resistance: IP68 with MIL-STD 810G ruggedness Battery: 7,600 mAh user-replaceableAudio: Four speakers tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos technologyDimensions: 243.5 x 170.2 x 9.9 mm and 653 grams
An S Pen comes with the Galaxy Tab Active Pro, but it is nothing like what we see with the version for the Galaxy Tab S6. This large, lightweight S Pen slides into the included rugged case and has the appearance of a large spike. It does not have an included battery and there is no Bluetooth Air Action functionality.
There is no keyboard option, but there are POGO pins on the bottom for expanding the use of the tablet. A good quality case is included in the package and is essential for holding the S Pen and helping protect the tablet.
Also: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 review: As good as Android tablets get CNET
The Galaxy Tab Active Pro is not a sleek, stylish tablet that is designed to compete with the iPad or the Galaxy Tab S6. It is built for business and is designed for an optimal field experience.
The tablet has a 10.1 inch display and while it is not a Samsung OLED panel it still looks great and gets the job done. It is optimized for landscape use with the default display in landscape orientation, the front-facing camera centered above the display in landscape, and three physical buttons for task manager, home, and back under the display. These physical buttons are nice additions for working in the field where gloves are often worn.
Power, volume, and a customizable active key (colored red) appear along the top when in landscape orientation. Speakers are found on both sides of the tablet. A USB-C port and a 3.5mm audio jack are positioned on the right side. POGO pins are on the bottom with plenty of connected accessory options for the enterprise.
Also: Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 review: An Android tablet built for business
There is a single camera centered along the top of the back. Nearly the entire back panel is removable with a seal present around the back of the internals. A very large 7,600 mAh battery takes up much of the back with a reported 15 hours of battery life. The microSD card and SIM card slots are found under this removable back cover.
The Galaxy Tab Active Pro runs Android 9 with One UI 1.5. The review unit has the 1 October 2019 Android security patch. It would be nice to see new devices running the latest version of Android, but it is pretty typical for these tablets to lag phones with firmware.
There are a few Samsung and Microsoft apps installed on the Tab Active Pro, including Outlook, OneDrive, Office Mobile, Bixby, Samsung Internet, Gallery, Smart Things, Messages, and Calendar. We find many more apps on Samsung phones out of the box so it’s nice to see just a minimal number here on this WiFi edition Tab Active Pro.
Bixby can be setup to launch with a press and hold of the power button or via voice. I’ve written a few times about the benefits of Bixby and continue to believe this service offers more than people give it credit for. Bixby Routines are supported and after attending last fall’s Samsung Developer Conference, there is quite a bit of work being done with Bixby capsules.
While the Tab Active Pro functions as a fully capable Android tablet, it really shines when you enable the native DeX mode. Unlike the Note 10 devices, and the Galaxy Fold, Samsung has two modes of DeX on its tablets. You can flip the switch, present in the Quick Actions area, to turn on DeX right on the Tab Active Pro itself. You can also enjoy a DeX experience when you connect an external monitor.
With DeX enabled, the icons all appear smaller and the same DeX interface you may be used to on an external monitor is present right on the tablet display. There is still some work to be done here though as the multi-tasking experience appears to be broken when DeX is enabled. In standard Android mode you go to the task switcher, tap the app icon over the thumbnail, and then choose to open the first app up in split-view mode. You then open the next app in pop-up view and move things around for multi-app use.
In DeX mode, the desktop is treated more like a computer where you have to manually move and resize windows using the S Pen, your finger, or the trackpad. It doesn’t even support the drag and drop to the edges for multi-window view like we see in Windows, Chrome OS, and iOS. It’s great to see an option for DeX on the tablet, but there is still work to be done.
Enterprise Firmware Over-The-Air (E-FOTA) and Knox integration is present to fully support business use.
Price and availability
The Wi-Fi model Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro is available now for $599.99. Business customers can also save more by purchasing multiple units, including saving up to $30 per unit with 16-25 unit purchases. The SIM unlocked LTE model starts at $679.99 with block unit pricing lowering unit price to $645.99 for 16-25 tablets.
Daily usage experiences and conclusions
I used the Galaxy Tab Active Pro in the snowy mountains and rain-drenched forests of Washington, along with the sandy beaches of Florida, and it performed flawlessly. While it has a mid-range processor, less RAM and internal storage than Samsung flagships, and basic LTE support I never had an issue using any apps for work. The price is reasonable and the tablet helps you get work done in the field.
While you can wrap your iPad in a rugged case and hope that protects it from damage, it’s tough to beat what Samsung is offering here with the Galaxy Tab Active Pro. It is built to withstand environmental conditions, has a large usable S Pen, incorporates a battery that will go all day with the ability to swap it out for another battery and continue working for days, and employs Samsung DeX for a PC-like experience on the go.
Hot Samsung Galaxy Products
- Super Speed Dual Pixel Camera; Music Play Time: AOD off: Up to 90 hours, AOD on: Up to 51 hours
- Infinity Display: edge to edge immersive screen, enhancing your entertainment experience
- IP68 rating: withstands splashes, spills, and rain so it can take a dip, worry free
- This Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified to work and look like new, with minimal to no signs of wear, by a specialized third-party seller approved by Amazon. The product is backed by a minimum 90-day warranty and may arrive in a generic brown or white box. Accessories may be generic and not directly from the manufacturer.
- Super Speed Dual Pixel Camera with Rear Dual Camera
- Infinity Display: edge-to-edge immersive screen, enhancing your entertainment experience**
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500) - Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- (6.2") HD+ Infinity-V 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~271 ppi density) - Front glass, plastic body
- 32GB ROM + 2GB RAM - microSD, up to 512 GB - Android Pie Samsung One UI - Exynos 7884 Octa-Core - Non-removable Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery
- 3G Bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - 4G LTE Bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500) - Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) > (ensure to check compatibility with your carrier before purchase)
- Super AMOLED 16.20cm (6.4") HD+ Infinity-V Display (~268 ppi density)
- 32GB + 3GB RAM - microSD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot) - Exynos 7884 Octa-core - Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery - Fast battery charging 15W
- A207/DS Factory Unlocked, Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Main Rear Camera: 13.0 MP + 8.0 MP + 5.0 MP , F1.8 , F2.2 , F2.2 ; Front Camera: 8.0 MP , F2.0
- 6.5 inches, 103.7 cm2 (~81.9% screen-to-body ratio) 720 x 1560 pixels (HD+), 19.5:9 ratio (~264 ppi density) IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- With an all day battery that lasts up to 35 hours, The Galaxy A50 keeps up with your fast pace throughout the day and into the night; When you need a boost, power back up quickly with fast charging
- Featuring three specialized lenses, The Galaxy A50 is the only camera you'll ever need; Capture more of what you see in every shot, thanks to our advanced Ultra wide 123 degrees field of vision; Shoot vibrant photos with a 25MP Main Camera or take flattering selfies with a depth lens that puts the focus squarely on you by softening the background
- Featuring a sleek, 6.4 inches Super AMOLED edge to edge screen, The slimly designed Galaxy A50 fits easily into your pocket
- 6. 4 inch Super AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 720 x 1560 pixels Dsiplay
- Non-Removable Lithium Ion 4000 mAh capacity with Fast charging 15W
- Internal Memory: 64GB, 4GB RAM - microSD Up to 1GB
- An immersive Cinematic Infinity Display, Pro grade Camera and Wireless PowerShare The next generation is here
- Ultrasonic in display fingerprint ID protects and unlocks with the first touch; Video Play Time: Up to 22 hours
- Pro grade Camera effortlessly captures epic, pro quality images of the world as you see it
- Compatible with Most GSM Carriers like T-Mobile, AT&T, MetroPCS, etc. Will NOT work with CDMA Carriers Such as Verizon, Sprint, Boost International Model - No warranty in US.
- 6.2", IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 (12 nm), Octa-core Processor
- Dual SIM, Unlocked, Android 9.0 (Pie), Samsung One UI; 32GB storage expandable with SD card up to 512GB + 2 GB RAM
- An immersive Cinematic Infinity Display, Pro-grade Camera and Wireless PowerShare. The next generation is here.
- Ultrasonic in-display fingerprint ID protects and unlocks with the first touch.
- Pro-grade Camera effortlessly captures epic, pro-quality images of the world as you see it.